Loading...

7. Final Product

Hi! Today I have finished printing my final design for the project submission that is due today so it might be the last update, or I might continue working on it after I receive a grade and perfect it in the spare time outside university. 

This time I didn’t forget to save the STL files, however I took screenshots just in case. On the first screenshot below (Figure 1) you can see the setting that I used for the final print, these are some standard setting such as 0.15mm of layer height, 10% of infill density which should be enough for this application, have both support material and brim to avoid any warping or dropping.

Fairly standard settings, however when the STL and Gcode files are sent to the site for printing, the setting might be slightly alternated for purposes such as printing multiple designs at the same time and I think that is what happened in my case. What I mean by that is I don’t think that there are any changes in the settings like infill density etc. but when I picked up my model it had the PVA support, which is water soluble, which makes it easier to remove the support by simply leaving it in the water for some time. the thing is that I didn’t know for how long I should soak it and then how to remove the remaining PVA from the model, especially that I had deadline at 4pm. after a mini heart attack and with little help of the staff and academics I somehow managed to get the sticky and slimy PVA from the model and I was very pleased with the finish that it left on the model, I wish my phone camera could capture it a bit better. 

Figure 1. Cura Settings for the Final Print
Figure 2. Cura Preview of Sliced Model
Figure 3. Cura Preview of Sliced Model Cross Section View of the Support Pattern

On the pictures below you can see how the model looked before removing the support material and without any cleaning. I quietly hoped that technicians would use yellow filament like in previous print because it would suit the theme a bit better. I could have mentioned it in the email that I wanted a specific colour but didn’t want to make a hassle and I can work with white filament as well. 

Overall, I had to do some cleaning on the model such as removing support material but also with use of scalpel knife I had to cut some corners and edges. Because I did it in a rush, I didn’t do a great job and I am not happy with how it turned out, not only the finish of this model but the whole model itself. 

If I had to redo the project I would completely change the whole design from the beginning, because this model might not even work in terms of board being screwed onto the board as the support cylinders on the bottom of the inside of the case seem quite small even though I measured them to fit 2.5mm screw. The shape of the case is not innovative in any way and doesn’t contribute to any theme that young students might know. Besides all the negative aspects of the design I am proud of the work that I’ve done and the 3D print model considering it is my second time in life to play around in Fusion 360 and using 3D printing software.

Figure 4. Top View of Model with Support Materials
Figure 5. Bottom View of Model with Support Materials
Figure 6. Dissolving PVA in Room Temperature Water
Figure 7. Top Side View of the Enclosure
Figure 8. Enclosure with Lid Closed
Figure 9. Stackable Enclosure
Figure 10. Raspberry Pi Zero Enclosure from Different View

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *